Named after its Patron Saint, the Virgin Mary, Sta. Maria was formerly a barrio of Tayug, Pangasinan. It became a town in 1863 but was fused to Tayug later because of its inability to maintain financial stability. In 1877, upon the application and granting of the inhabitants for separation from the mother town, Sta. Maria became again a separate town.